Last Updated: September 25th 2016
VESC BLDC Open-Source Electric Skateboard ESC
What is VESC? – Back in mid 2015, we had help to introduce Benjamin Vedder with his Open Source BLDC ESC to the DIY Electric Skateboard community. He has spent over 5 years spending hundreds of hours building the best VESC possible.
Here at DIY Electric Skateboard, we provided Benjamin with a complete electric skateboard minus the ESC’s :).
We had plans to release this VESC to the DIY Electric Skateboard community but we had failed to do so as at the time it was required to install a Linux operating system to program the ESC. For those nerds/geeks and techies.. It’s a doable scenario but for others who want to keep it simple, we offered our TorqueBoards 12S ESC which is a still a great ESC!
However, the VESC BLDC has made huge headway and it’s now easier than ever to program the VESC which has a ton of more features which we can utilize to it’s fullest. In the process, we’ve also been able to drop the price on the VESC to make the barrier of entry easier for a more affordable DIY Electric Skateboard ESC.
VESC Additional Items
Don’t forget these items as you may need them for your VESC to function properly!
- Male to Male Servo Connector – Connect your 3pin PPM VESC pins to your Electric Skateboard Remote.
- VESC XT90 Parallel Connector – Connect Dual VESC’s power plugs XT90s for power source.
- VESC CanBus Connector – Connect Dual VESC’s for data communication. Don’t forget to set VESC to Master/Slave.
- VESC Warranty – Get 1 Year Warranty for your VESC.
VESC Production Schedule
- Batch #5 – IN STOCK!!! September 1st/2nd week.
- Batch #4 – SOLD OUT – Mid August
- Batch #3 – SOLD OUT – July 18th – 22nd 2016
- Batch #2 – SOLD OUT – June 20th – 24th 2016
- Batch #1 – SOLD OUT – End of March 2016/Early April
Current VESC Specs
- v4.12 Hardware (Latest hardware version)
- Latest v2.18 for Firmware for FOC (Latest firmware version)
- 10awg motor wires w/ 5.5mm bullet connectors.
- Bootloader and Firmware Loaded. With Motor Detection & FOC Tested.
- *You are required to do your own Motor Detection & Settings adjustment to your setup. We do have Electric Skateboard Tutorials on this setup and configuration.
VESC BLDC Electric Skateboard ESC Benefits
- Strong, Reliable and Progressive Electric Brakes.
- Start from a stop with Unsensored or Sensorless Motors as if it was Sensored.
- Many Safety Features such as Current Control and Temperature Control Features.
- Sensored and Unsensored (FOC) Field Oriented Control allows your electric skateboard to run with barely any motor noise.
VESC BLDC Electric Skateboard ESC Features
- Built in 5V BEC (Used to power your receiver.)
- Voltage: 8V to 60V (Up to 14S LiPo Voltage)
- Current: Up to 240A for a few seconds or 50A continous
- PCB size is 40mm x 60mm
- Regenerative Braking
- Sensored or Sensorless operation
- Great start-up torque with sensorless motors
VESC Tutorials & Videos
- Getting Started – How To Configure the VESC
- How To Setup VESC FOC Mode
- How To Connect RC Mini Remote To VESC
- How To Fix VESC FOC Mode
VESC Production Updates
- VESC Batch #4+
- VESC Hardware v4.12
- VESC Firmware v2.18
- All VESC’s have (3) 63v 680µF.
- Upgraded C18 to 4.7µF (From standard 2.2µF)
- Battery Wires = XT90 Female w/ 5mm Male Bullet Connectors w/ 10awg High Silicone Strand Wire
- Motor Wires = 5.5mm Bullet Connectors w/ 10awg High Silicone Strand Wire
VESC BLDC Warranty
No frills, affordable VESC with no warranty. At our current price point, we would not be able to provide a full warranty on VESCs. However, they are tested before shipment.
The VESC is highly susceptible to damage if used incorrectly. It is still and a beta product. Enjoy being on the cutting edge at an affordable price! We do our best to get you up and running with no problems. Please watch our YouTube Videos on setup.
VESC is currently a BETA product.
By purchasing the VESC without warranty is upon your own RISK. Any DRV8302 errors or errors after testing are your own responsibility. We do not offer any replacements or returns.
We do our best by extensive testing on our end which includes loading the bootloader/firmware, testing BLDC mode, motor detection and testing FOC mode. We run the tests 2-3 times. If we are able to do the following with no issues, the VESC is ready to be shipped.
Still want VESC Warranty? Purchase our additional warranty VESC BLDC with Warranty.